Tonight I made Cranberry-Orange Biscuits w/ an Orange Glaze and Scrambled Eggs w/ Chorizo for dinner.
* 2 cups flour.
* 1 tablespoon sugar.
* 2 teaspoons baking powder.
* 1 teaspoon freshly shredded orange peel.
* 1/4 teaspoon salt.
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
* 1/2 cup shortening.
* 1/2 cup dried fruit, such as snipped cranberries, raisins, cherries or mixed dried fruit bits; or currants or blueberries.
* 6 oz carton orange or low-fat vanilla yogurt.
* 1 tablespoon milk
* 1 recipe for orange glaze. (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl stir together first 6 ingrediants. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add dried fruit;toss until well mixed. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add in the yogurt and milk all at once and stir w/ a fork just until moistened.
2.Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough until 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough w/ a floured 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. rerolling scraps if necessary and dipping the cutter into flour between cuts.
3. Place dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake about 10 mins or until golden. Remove the biscuits from baking sheet; let cool for 5 mins. If desired, drizzle w/ Orange Glaze. Serve Warm.
In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel and enough orange juice to reach glaze consistency. (3-4 teaspoons juice)