Like I've said in a previous post I plan to cook a lot of fall foods and since I'm starting on a weight loss journey I'm going to make sure they are all healthy. Which means low calorie, low sat fat, low or no sugar and low sodium. This morning I decided to make Granola. For some reason it just makes me think of fall w/ all the dried fruits and nuts.
Before going into the oven.
2 cups of regular rolled oats.
1 cup of coarsly chopped/sliced nuts- almonds, walnuts, or pecans.
1/2 cup of coconut (optional)
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds.
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ.
1/4 cup flax seeds.
1/2 cup honey or maple flavored syrup.
2 tablespoons cooking oil.
1 cup dried fruit- cherries, snipped pitted dates, raisins or cranberries. (optional)
1. grease a pan and set aside. in a bowl combine oats, nuts, coconut if desired, sunflower seeds, wheat germ and flax seeds. set aside.
2. in another bowl combine honey and oil and stir into the oat mixture.
3. spread evenly into the prepared pan, bake at 300 degrees F for 30-35 mins or until litght brown, stirring after 20 mins.
4. if desired stir in dried fruit.
5. let cool and store in an air tight container up to 1 week. (or store in freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutritional Facts for 1/2 cup of Granola:
244 calories, 13g total fat, 1g sat fat, 0mg chol, 1mg sodium, 28g carbo, 4g fiber, 7g protein.
For dinner I made a chorizo and edamame paella. The first time I made this I didn't think my husband was going to like it cos of the chorizo (he doesn't like spicy food), but he scarfed it down like no bodys business and last night he asked for it again. It is a delish dish and it takes a while to make. 55 mins to be exact, but its deffinatly worth it!
6 ounces soy chorizo.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
2 1/4 cups yellow onion.
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed.
4 garlic cloves.
1 cup valencia or other medium-grain rice.
1 cup of 1/2 inch pieces of chopped red bell pepper.
1/2 cup dry white wine.
2 cups organic vegetable broth.
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame.
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.
1/4 cup chopped green onion.
1. heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat. add the chorizo and cook for 12 mins or until browned, crumbling and stirring occasionally. place in a bowl
and set aside.
2. return pan to medium heat. add olive oil, swirling to coat. add the yellow onion, cover and cook for 10 mins or until tender, stirring occasionally.
add the saffron and garlic, cook for 1 min, stirring occasionally. add 1 cup of rice and bell pepper, cook for 2 mins, stirring frequently. stir in white wine, cook
for 2 mins or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. add vegetable broth and salt; bring to a simmer.
cover and reduce heat, and simmer for 20 mins or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
3. return the chorizo to pan and stir in the edamame. cook for 5 mins or until edamame is thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. sprinkle w/ chopped
parsley and 1/4 cup green onions.
Nutritional facts for Paella:
313 calories, 11.2g total fat, 1g sat fat, 0mg chol, 525mg sodium, 41.7 carbo, 6.1g fiber, 12g protein